Sunday, March 20, 2011

Namma Mane - Our home in Kannada ..

Namma Mane - Our home in Kanada ..

I finally decided to blog on our house decor ,, We haven't spent too much on our home decor with the kiddo around.  I have been reading soo many blogs on interior design and Indian themed home decor , and tried to incorporate some design ideas in our home.

The last few years away from India has made me so nostalgic about back home and I wanted to incorporate every bit of India and its colour and soul in our home , so that I can finally say that this is my  home. I  have been living outside for the last 4 years and till today , I can never call the place we live as "Home". The home feeling never seems to sink-in and I always feel that there is something definitely missing here . When I visit our friends houses here and see some of their Indian artifacts, I get so nostalgic and start relating to my grand-mom's house in Chennai.

My grand-mom's house is a cozee little house in the heart of Chennai. Even though it is small in size, there was everything to that house. Every inch of that house had a soul and every inch of the house spoke to me and missed me when I was away. The comfortable and relaxed feeling I have when I am there is something that I will miss for a long time.

My grandmom , and I fondly called her Ajji had a small kitchen garden . She always worked so hard to make the garden look so pretty. She had the lovely Tulasi plants in the backyard . And the lovely December and Parijatham flowers. We used to share a mango tree with the neighbours and the my most favourite tree. The Gooseberries tree. Even now, when I go to India, I get so excited by just watching these trees. These trees have been there for years and they grew with me.

Huh, miss her and the lovely house. The more I think and write, the more nostalgic I get and the more I yearn to go to India.

Anyways, I wanted to showcase some of my favourite corners of our house. I loved this Indian design and got it painted at the entrance of the house. I love the huge Vilaku and the hanging Vilaku (Lamps). I bought few of them from India this time and placed it in our house.

We wanted to celebrate Diwali exactly the way we do in India and I incorporated a small Pooja place to bring the Diwali colour and spirit.

More corners to come soon ....











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh.. this is truly lovely!! :-) What is that on the wall?? Is it painted??

Naveena said...

Yes, painted and bought few mirrors and stones from the Dollar shop and stuck them to the "Indie" art look :).

Thanks Pat for checking this when you are soooooooo busy.